Caramelized Onion, Walnut and Cilantro Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion (1 large)
- 2 cups Shredded Chicken
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion (2)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
- 10 slices sourdough bread, toasted (I used leftover oatmeal bread)
- 10 slices tomato
- 3/4 cup baby spinach leaves
- Pimiento-stuffed green olives (optional for garnish, I didn't use)
1. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion. Cook, covered, for 13 to 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes more or until golden.
2. In a large bowl, combine onion, chicken, walnuts, and green onion. Add mayonnaise, cilantro, and lime juice; toss to coat. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Place about 1/2 cup chicken salad on each of five bread slices. Top each with two slices tomato and some of the spinach. Top sandwiches with the remaining bread slices. If desired, secure each sandwich with a skewer and garnish with an olive. Makes 5 servings.