Monday, March 8, 2010

Hot Chocolate Cake

I cut this recipe from a Real Simple magazine years ago...2005. I found it in a file the other day and couldn't wait to try it. The original recipe shows this baked in a mug. I bought some mugs, but didn't know for sure if they were oven safe or not....so I made it in my 10-inch springform pan. This cake is rich and super yummy. I am definitely going to find some oven safe mugs or ramekins to make this in next time. The cake was messy and hard to dish out, so the individual servings would be great!! I will definitely be making this again!
Messy to dish up, but SO yummy!!


Hot Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
  • 8 T unsalted butter, plus extra for coating
  • 3 T all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
  • 1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for dusting
  • 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
  • 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter, flour and sugar eight 6-ounce coffee cups or mugs made of ovenproof stoneware. Wipe the rims clean. Place the 8 T of butter and the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt, stirring once or twice until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Using a handheld mixer(I just used my kitchen-aid), beat the eggs, yolk, vanilla, salt and 1/2 cup sugar at the highest speed until the volume doubles and mixture becomes foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir the 3 T flour into the chocolate, then gradually add it to the egg mixture, beating on low until it's fully incorporated. Ladle the batter into each cup until it's about 1/2 inch from the rim. Bake until the cakes puff and begin to crack but the centers are still a bit runny, 13 to 17 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with marshmallows, then return to oven for 2-4 minutes, until the marshmallow tops begin to crisp. Remove from oven; let cool about 5 minutes. Sift the cocoa on top.

To make a cake instead....butter, flour and sugar a 10-inch springform pan. Pour batter into pan and bake for 22-25 minutes or, if you prefer a more gooey center, bake for 17-20 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with marshmallows and bake for another 2-4 minutes.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this looks so good! I'm a choco-holic!!! I think my kids would love them in the mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW - that looks awesome!!
    Tanya
    http://thesamplergirlcooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!