Thursday, August 5, 2010

Peach Vanilla Syrup

I received an email with this recipe from Pam a year ago. We LOVE this syrup! My 10 year old won't eat pancakes with anything else. I made another batch today and will be making more tomorrow. Try this syrup with whole wheat blender pancakes...SO yummy!! FYI...Basha's has peaches on sale 2 pounds for $1 this week.




Peach Vanilla Syrup
Ingredients:

  • 5 cups peaches(pureed)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 T. lemon juice
  • 2 t. vanilla

Directions: Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vanilla and stir well. Pour into hot, sterile jars and screw the hot lids and rings on tight.

**Edited to add: Process the syrup in a boiling hot water bath for ~15 minutes, to make sure that any bacteria is killed. Start timing when the water comes to a full boil. Set jars out and listen for the pop to ensure they have sealed:)

Here is a link that Sarah D left about the safety of NOT hot water bathing...http://www.foodinjars.com/2010/08/canning-101-why-you-shouldnt-can-like-your-grandmother-did/ Thanks Sarah!!

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds delish! I will be making this weekend for pancakes.
    also PLEASE be careful about canning that way. please read the article on this canning blog about the dangers of not hot water bath canning.
    http://www.foodinjars.com/2010/08/canning-101-why-you-shouldnt-can-like-your-grandmother-did/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always worry about not boiling to be SURE everything is dead in there :) I am going to have to try this. I LOVE that it is pretty low in sugar (no where near the 1 to 1 that most recipes are). Last year I made peach jam with our leftover peaches and it was yucky. Looking forward to a new recipe! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Sarah and Kira. I have updated the recipe to include processing in a water bath and also included the link you gave.

    THANKS for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! There are "Georgia Peaches" selling on the corner right down the road from me. I already have plans to buy them for another recipe, now I will buy more! I love peaches and think I will like this very much, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to update since making this. Yummy! My kids didn't even want it as syrup, they ate it right in a bowl with a spoon and loved it! I will be buying more peaches today!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!