Thursday, May 31, 2012

7 layer tostada

I love to cook a crock pot full of beans early in the week, then use them for several meals later on.  I originally posted the recipe for the smashed beans(refried beans...just no frying about them) here.  I still make them the pretty much the same, however, if I have an onion and fresh garlic, I use that instead of the garlic salt and onion powder.  I just add three or four garlic cloves and 1/2 to a whole onion in when I add the beans to the crock pot and let them cook while the beans cook.  Since I puree them in my food processor later...the garlic and onion get blended in nicely.  When I blend the beans I add salt to taste.  Also, I very rarely add the bacon grease anymore.  These beans are SO good.  Maybe I should just re-post the recipe with all the measurements I use now...I think I use more chili powder and cumin now too....I don't really measure, just dump some in.

A month or so ago, I was at the store buying tostada shells to use with our beans and thought I would make them like a 7 layer bean dip, but on a tostada shell.  They were a bit hit at our house.  I make my guacamole real fancy....smash the avocado out of the shell, add lime juice, salt and pepper to taste and then mix well :)  Also, my kids would prefer to substitute salsa for the tomatoes.  Of course the amount of ingredients will depend on if there are 2 of you or 10.
7 layer tostadas

Ingredients:
  • tostada shells
  • smashed beans...if you use a can of refried beans, you will want to add some taco seasoning for flavor
  • guacamole
  • sour cream
  • shredded cheese
  • sliced olives
  • chopped tomatoes....or salsa
  • slice green onions

Directions:  Heat your beans and layer ingredients in order from top bullet to bottom.

Do you have a favorite way to make guacamole?  Please share :)
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. My favorite way to make guacamole is the standard avocado, lime, sour cream and/or greek yogurt, but I saw this on a TV show, had to try it, and I now cannot eat guacamole without them. What you ask? Pomegranate seeds. I know that it sounds weird, but I promise you it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...sounds interesting! I LOVE pomegranates, so I'll have to try it! Thanks sdonn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mash up an avocado with a squeeze or two of lime juice. Add in a few tablespoons of salsa and sour cream. If you need to stretch it, add finely shredded lettuce. (Got that tip from a Mexican eatery employee.) I actually prefer it with the lettuce mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to add diced onion, diced tomato (or some rotel), lime juice, cumin, cilantro and slap ya mamma. Also, I like to put taco seasoning in my sour cream for this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When making my guac, I add cheese!!! Melted cheese makes all the difference.

    2 avocados
    2 TBS Mild Pace picante
    now the cheese..
    I usually take the kraft single slices, small microwavable bowl, and add a little milk and melt. Or if ur making something with cheese already (like velvetta) I use a little of the velvetta. Usually 1-2 TBS off melted cheese. I would not recommend cheddar or other cheese. The kraft singles make it perfect.

    Now mush it all up (or i put mine in the baby bullet and blend up really well. EVERYONE loves my guac.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's my simple recipe--nothing exotic. I mash a ripe avocado and squeeze half a lemon and mix together. Add a little salt if desired. When I crave avocado, here is what I make. I put Miracle Whip on two pieces of bread and put a thick layer of my mashed avocado on top of each slice and yumm! I get it that an avocado sandwich is not for everyone, but my family loves it as I do.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!