Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Multi-Grain Granola Bread

I found this recipe in a "Bee Prepared" book that my mom sent me. It is full of recipes using food storage. I used a maple cinnamon granola recipe that I made. I forgot to take a picture of the granola, but next time I make it I will get a photo and post that recipe too. This bread was SO yummy though and next time I make granola, I will be making this again too.

Multi-Grain Granola Bread

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 3 T active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 cups milk, scalded
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup rye flour(I used dark rye)
  • 1 cup granola
  • 2 1/2 t salt
  • 2/3 cup oil

Directions: Into a medium size bowl, pour the honey. Add the scalded milk and let stand until lukewarm. Stir in yeast, and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.

In a large mixer bowl(I used my kitchen-aid), combine the oats, cornmeal, rye flour, almonds, granola and whole wheat flour.

When the yeast mixture is foamy, add the salt, eggs and oil. Beat well with a whisk. Pour the yeast mixture into the mixer bowl and stir manually to mix. Then using the dough hook attachment, begin adding the flour 1 cup at a time until 3 cups have been added, forming a heavy moist dough.

Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Add a little more flour and knead it in. Knead dough slightly, 4-5 minutes, adding a little more flour to bring the dough to barely beyond tacky.

Place the dough in a large oiled bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise just to about doubled in bulk, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Punch down the dough, and divide into 2 loaves* and place in oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Let rise a second time until doubled, 40-60 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 20 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 and bake until crusty and deep golden brown, about 20 minutes more.

*I actually made 2 'regular' size loaves and 4 mini loaves with this recipe. The loaves you see in the pictures are all from one batch.

Pin It!

1 comment:

THANKS for visiting!!