Wednesday, September 3, 2008

French Toast with Buttermilk Syrup

We are a breakfast family. We love breakfast! We even have breakfast for dinner about once a week and this is one of our favorites!! A friend of mine gave me this recipe for buttermilk syrup a couple of years ago. I don't know about you, but I was thinking 'buttermilk syrup? yuck!' Boy was I wrong!! This is SO yummy!! We don't have french toast with any other syrup now. I wish I could have gotten a better picture, but my kids and husband are not very patient when it comes to getting breakfast to the table:)

This is pretty much your average recipe for French Toast, but the addition of cinnamon sugar, gives the top a little crunch. The recipe came from Food Network.
Cinnamon French Toast
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 t cinnamon
  • 4 T butter
  • 8 thick slices of bread

Directions: Preheat an oven to 200 degrees F, and place a rack on a sheet pan. Whisk the milk and eggs in a glass pie or casserole dish until evenly combined. Whisk the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add about 1/2 a tablespoon of butter to the skillet, swirling the pan to coat the surface. Dip 2 slices of bread into the egg mixture and immediately lay in the skillet. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top and cook until the undersides are brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Add a nut-sized bit of butter to the skillet, as needed, and flip the toast, cook until golden on the underside, about 3 minutes more.

Buttermilk Syrup

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c buttermilk(put 1 T vinegar in measuring cup and add milk to 1/2 cup mark and let sit for a few minutes)
  • 1 cube butter
  • 1 t karo syrup
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 t vanilla

Directions: Stir first 4 ingredients together in a large saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda. The baking soda makes the syrup foam up, so make sure you use a fairly large pan.

We like to sprinkle powdered sugar on top of all this goodness:) The picture has a piece of white Texas toast on the bottom and a piece of homemade wheat bread on top. Honestly, I like the wheat bread as much or more than the other.

Have a great day!!

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I am such a huge fan of buttermilk syrup, I can't sing its praises enough. Isn't it dreamy and divine? I love having breakfast for dinner since I'm sure everyone will really eat what is on the menu. YOur french toast would go over big around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect recipe. I won't make a different syrup recipe, it is by far the best around. It reminds me of liquid candy, I could drink it from a cup! Great post, now I'm starving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutely *love* french toast. my favorite way is to mix in vanilla extract, milk, and cinnamon in the egg mixture - oh my. really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this syrup. I have had it before but never had a recipe to make it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This syrup looks like something my boys would just love! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try buttermilk syrup. I love breakfast for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made your fab wheat pancakes today. Thank you soooo much. Now I can get a handle on all my food storage wheat. I've been reluctant to even open up those 50 lb. bags, but now i"m in.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!