Monday, September 8, 2008

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

I love homemade ice cream!! I remember making ice cream many times growing up. I loved adding the ice and rock salt and taking my turn cranking the crank. Actually I don't know about cranking the crank. I remember making it in the winter when we could use snow instead of ice. I don't have an ice cream maker:(...but that's okay, I used Prudy's maker-less method. If you haven't checked out Prudence Pennywise, please do!! Prudy has a wonderful blog with WONDERFUL recipes. I have made many and can say they have all been delicious! Anyway, I stirred the ice cream about every 1/2 to 1 hour. I found myself taking a bite or two every time I stirred, so I kept it closer to 1 hour:)

We love plain old vanilla ice cream around here, then everyone can stir in their favorite add-ins! My husband LOVES coarsely chopped Butterfinger!! If you try this, I hope you enjoy!!!

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Ingredients:

  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 3 cups half and half
  • 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 2 t. vanilla

Directions: Whisk all ingredients together until smooth. Put the bowl in the freezer and whisk every 1/2-1 one hour until frozen. Once it starts freezing you will need to switch from a whisk to a large spoon to stir.

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I have made so much ice cream this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ice cream looks gorgeous and I'll have to try your recipe. I just made two huge batches of vanilla last night for our neighborhood barbecue. Everyone goes gaga for homemade vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A classic summer dessert! I haven't tried it with condensed milk though. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Looks fabulous! I'll have to try this method.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!