Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Chicken Taquitos


It is SO hard for me to get decent pictures of ...dinner :/  There is no natural light left by the time we eat and I am usually slightly shaky when I try to take pictures because I am starving :)

I made these taquitos for dinner last night and my boys told me they were the best taquitos they had EVER eaten!  I have actually made taquitos quite a few times, but apparently not as good as these!


Taquitos are actually pretty simple to make.  For me, the worst part is just rolling and frying....but really that is simple too.  Actually the worst part may be shredding the chicken....but you can always use your mixer to shred your meat and then that part is super easy too.


I fry mine in a frying pan with with about 1/2 inch of oil in it over medium heat.  I add freshly rolled taquitos toward the front and then roll them(1/4 turns) toward the back of the pan and remove when all sides are fried.


When I made these last night, a few of my boys were at basketball practice....so to keep them warm, I put them in the oven(after I had let them drain off any extra grease onto a paper towel) pre-heated to 250 degrees to keep them warm until we were ready to eat.  


Usually when I make taquitos I only use corn tortillas, but last night we did corn and flour.  My boys LOVED the flour ones.  The flour tortillas don't get quite as crispy as the corn tortillas.  I always warm my corn tortillas(5-10 at a time) on a plate under a damp paper towel in the microwave for ~30 seconds.  When you do this, the tortillas are much easier to roll...and they don't crack and break as easy.  We love to eat our with sour cream, salsa and chopped avocado.

Chicken Taquitos

Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 T chili powder
1/8 t onion powder
1/8 t crushed red pepper
1/4 t cumin
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 t black pepper
1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
corn/flour tortillas
canola oil

Directions:  Mix all of the spices together and set aside.  Place 2 chicken breasts into a crock pot, sprinkle spice mixture onto chicken.  Cook chicken on low for 3-4 hours, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.  Shred chicken and mix together with the shredded cheese.  Place some chicken mixture onto one edge of the tortilla.  Roll chicken up in the tortilla and fry.  

I fry mine in a frying pan with with about 1/2 inch of oil in it over medium heat.  I add freshly rolled taquitos toward the front and then roll them(1/4 turns) toward the back of the pan and remove when all sides are fried.

I always warm my corn tortillas(5-10 at a time) on a plate under a damp paper towel in the microwave for ~30 seconds.  When you do this, the tortillas are much easier to roll...and they don't crack and break as easy.  

We love to eat our with sour cream, salsa and chopped avocado.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS for visiting!!