Monday, June 29, 2015

Dresser Drawers turned Under-bed Storage

When I first started this blog....I meant for it to be a place for my sister and I to 'dish' about our favorite things, projects, recipes and other miscellaneous things :) ....somewhere along the way it turned into mostly a food blog, so I started a separate blog for projects.  Now I have decided to combine the two and share some of my projects from the other blog here.

This is a project that I shared on the other blog in September of 2009 and is still one of my favorite projects :)......ENJOY :)

We have been in need of a dresser for awhile now! We had an old one that was falling apart. Part of the drawers wouldn't come out and part would not go in. Since we can't afford a new dresser now and I haven't been having much luck finding one at a yard sale....I decided to re-purpose the one that we had. I pulled out the four drawers and went to work on two of them(I am going to do something a little different with the other two for another room).




Before
I started out by going to a local hardware store and purchasing some inexpensive trim and some new knobs. I already had one knob and needed to find three more to match. I used my husband's miter-saw(my first time) and cut 45 degree angles on the trim so that I could form a 'box' around the knobs. I'll tell ya....the miter-saw really scared me at first, but once I got started...it was not too bad! To measure the pieces, I cut my first long side and first short side and then just put those up to the molding and drew a pencil line to measure the next pieces.

Next, I just used some wood glue and glued the molding into place. I'm NOT much of a perfectionist, so don't look too close! If my husband was doing this project, he would have the trim cut PERFECT and glued Perfectly centered on the drawer.
Drawer with molding glued
 
Then...I sprayed the drawers with some primer and went to town painting them. Lastly....I added the knobs. I thought about adding casters, but it would have cost me about $4-6 more per drawer...so for now they are caster-less. They seem to slide in and out pretty easily though. I will add felt pads to the bottom, if they are ever used on the wood floor. Like I said..I'm NOT a perfectionist...at all!!....BUT I LOVE the end result! So much better than the blue drawers in the dresser and now we have more floor space.
Finished drawers under bunk beds.
 
Update:  Here is a picture of one of the other two drawers....I ended up adding trim and use them for storage in another room.
 
Sorry about the picture quality...This drawer is in my bedroom and I love it!!  I use it to store all of my charging cords....books and magazines that I am reading and other misc...stuff :)
 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS for visiting!!