Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini.....bread and cake

One of my husband's clients brought him this load of veggies. Check out that zucchini on top! I started shredding the zucchini and got 10, yes 10 cups of shredded zucchini from the one LARGE zucchini and that is after I took the center seeds out. This zucchini was quite mature so I took the seeds and spongy center out. I still have 5 cups of the shredded zucchini in my freezer:) I found both of these recipes at allrecipes.com. I followed the chocolate cake recipe as written and made minor changes to the zucchini bread. I was very surprised by the chocolate cake. It is very moist and delicious. At first my 8 year old didn't want to even taste it because it had zucchini in it. When he finally decided he could try a bite, he loved it!!



Oatmeal Cinnamon Zucchini Bread
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 1/3 cups white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 cup cinnamon chips

Directions: Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans(I used 4 mini loaf pans). Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Stir together dry ingredients in a bowl. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and cinnamon until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

Original recipe



Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 3 cups grated zucchini
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan(I used a bundt pan). In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts(I left the nuts out because I didn't have any on hand) and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting(I just dusted with some powdered sugar).

Original Recipe

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a good idea to put in cinnamon chips. I'm dying to make chocolate zuke cake, but I've been making so much I don't know if I'll squeeze it in. It looks so good and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm not sure which one I'd choose first, they both look so tasty! I think I'd like to try the oatmeal one this week! Great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of zucchini and wondered if I could freeze it. You mentioned freezing it, as well. Do I only need to grate it and then freeze it? Thanks! Michelle

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!